For the longest time, my mother was the cook in the family. Not only did she cook almost all our meals, she was also the one baking all our birthday cakes. Of times, she would even bake her own cake, since we were all not very fond of store-bought. THIS year, I decided it was my turn to bake her a beautiful cake on her birthday. My mother has a very gentle and soft nature, delicate and beautiful just like the rose. Therefore, I decided to go with the popular apple rose tart with a cheesecake filling.
Lastly, I threw the in the chai spice because my roommate and I were going through a chai-phase, adding chai into anything and everything!
Here’s the recipe:
- 1 Shortcrust pastry
- 2 8oz block of cream cheese (softened) *I recommend Philadelphia for stronger taste
- 70g of sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- zest of half a lemon
- 1 teaspoon of chai spice *see note below to make your own mix
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 85g of yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 3-4 apples
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of chai spice
- Using your stand mixer with the paddle attachment, mix the cream cheese on low speed until smooth. You may need to scrape down the sides with a baking spatula to make sure everything is evenly mixed. If you do not have a stand mixer, you may also whisk the cream cheese by hand, but make sure the cream cheese is softened and strong arms, strong arms. (Or as Ramsay likes to say, a cheesecake a day = muscle gain)
- Continue mixing while adding in the sugar, salt, lemon zest, chai spice mix, and vanilla extract.
- Mix in the yogurt and eggs (one at a time).
- Roll out your pastry into a 12 inch pie pan (preferably a deeper one). Pour your batter into the pan, filling it up to about 1/2-2/3. The rest of the space should be for the apples. Place in fridge while you prep the apples.
- Slice apples into very thin crescents using a mandolin or sharp knife. You may want to have a bowl of cold water with lemon juice on the side so you can dip the apples in to prevent them from browning. *You may choose to keep the skin on or off.
- Once all the apples are sliced, remember to pat them dry before you start placing them onto your cheesecake. Following the pie crust, work from the outside working your way towards the middle, make sure the curved side of the apples is facing upwards. Poke them down into the cheesecake filling to hold them in place.
- Preheat the oven to 190C, middle rack.
- Mix the brown sugar (or white sugar) together with the salt and chai spice mix. Then sprinkle over apples.
- Bake for 45 mins to 1 hour. The cheesecake filling should puff up a little. Give it a little shake, if it jiggles (and doesn't slosh around) you're good.
- Turn off the oven, open the door for a few seconds, then close it again, allowing the cheesecake to sit in the oven for another 30 mins. Then take the tart out to cool (approximately 1 hour). When it's completely cooled you may serve directly, but I would suggest to refridge the cake prior to serving.
- Chai Spice Mix is not that common in Taiwan, therefore you may have to gather a few spices to make your own.
- 1 teaspoon of ground cardamon
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of ground cloves
- 3 teaspoons of ground ginger
- You may make a bigger batch in the same ratio and store in an old spice container. It's quite handy for chai spiced latte, applesauce, and other baked goods.
- 奶油乳酪 14oz (cream cheese)
- 印度香料1茶匙 (配方如下方註解)
- 拿出你的攪拌鋼，加入奶油乳酪(cream cheese)用低速攪拌，直到起士光滑柔順。攪拌中你可能需要用刮刀把旁邊的起士往中間推，讓起士可以平均的攪拌。如果你沒有攪拌鋼也可以直接用打蛋器。
- 把派皮放入12吋的派盤 (最好挑一個有深度的派盤)。把起士餡倒進派盤，預留約1/2~1/3的空間放蘋果。冷藏。
- 把蘋果切成半月形(越薄越容易擺盤喔)。切蘋果的時候，旁邊可以放一盆冷水，加入一點檸檬汁，蘋果不意變色。 可自行選擇是否去皮。
- 入烤箱烤45分鐘至1小時。起士餡會稍微膨脹，這時候你可以打開烤箱，稍微搖一搖。如果起士餡會微微的如果凍般抖動 (不是水水的流動)就完成啦!
Did you make this recipe for someone special?
Leave me a comment or show me on Instagram with the hashtag #inthefoodlab!
很期待你的作品，歡迎留言或透過Instagram分享美味的照片，記得標記 #inthefoodlab 我才看得到喔!