My mom was so excited to share this recipe with me. She raved about it when I went home several weeks ago. She made is sound so enticing that I had to give it a shot. However, I couldn’t quite remember all the components SHE put into this dish, so I had to improvise. The end result was pretty good, especially if you like spicy Korean food.
Easy dish with bold flavors. I really like the use of rice noodles. I really felt like my mother has modernized the traditional Hakka Rice Noodle and made it the star. The wide flat surface of these noodles really coats up the spicy sauce and you get a mouthful of zing.
My only problem with this recipe was…for the life of me I could NOT find Hakka rice noodles in ANY of my local grocery stores. I ended up buying rice and corn flour to make my own.
If you find yourself in the same predicament you can use this easy recipe to make your own rice noodles:
160g rice flour
20g corn flour
1 teaspoon of oil
1 teaspoon of salt
300ml of cold water
Simple right? Just mix all the ingredients together to form a rice paste. Put it into a pan and steam is for about 8 minutes.
So the first time I poured the noodles into a pan that was way too small…so my noodles came out impeccably thick. There was no way to cut it into any shape of form that was even acceptable to consume.
The second batch came out way better, but still slightly too thick. I didn’t have time for a third batch so I just went with it. My advice would be to use a large flat pan pan make sure that there’s only a thin layer of rice paste and that it’s spread out evenly.
But heck, to save time, I would much rather go out and buy some already made rice noodles. With rice noodles in hand, you will be able to put this dish on the table within 30 minutes (given that the chicken has already been sitting the marinade overnight). Go on, I hope you try it for a quick weeknight dish!
- 1 tablespoon of Korean chili sauce
- 3 garlic cloves (grated/or sub with garlic powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon of ginger powder (or freshly grated ginger)
- ½ teaspoon of white pepper
- 1 tablespoon of rice wine
- ½ teaspoon of soy sauce
- 300g chicken tenders (cut into chunks)
- 2 eggs
- a packet of rice noodles (or make your own)
- spring onions (optional)
- toasted white sesame (optional)
- Mix all the ingredients for the marinade and marinade the chicken for at least 1 hour.
- Scrambled the eggs and cook them on the pan until well done or even a little browned.
- Put in the chicken and brown them on both sides.
- Cut your rice noodle into the length and size of your choice.
- Stir fry chicken, rice noodles, and egg altogether. You may want to put a lid on your pan for 5-6 minutes to ensure that the chicken is thoroughly cooked.
- Sprinkle on some spring onions and sesame and the dish is ready to be served.